Sunday, April 11, 2010

ACS - San Francisco

I've been a bit busy for the past three weeks, and am only now getting the photos from our visit to San Francisco off my camera.  In late March, a group of students and faculty from the Chemistry department attended the National American Chemical Society meeting.  I think this year we might have had the largest group ever from CSU to attend a national meeting, with 5 students giving poster presentations and seven faculty along for the ride.  Dr. Rivas and I were able to break our travel curse, and we are thankful for that.  (For those of you who don't know, all of American Airline's MD80 planes were grounded on the day we were to return to Chicago from the 2008 ACS meeting in New Orleans.  It turned out to be quicker to drive back, so Dr. Rivas and I did our own Blues Brothers road trip with a few of the students in the back seat.)  In any case, here are a few shots from the poster sessions:

Quiana presented our recent work on making a new copper based photosensitizer for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells.
Rachel begging Dr. Rivas that he make sure I don't choose the restaurants anymore.  (Rachel loves spicy Thai.)
Amanda and Latris had some good foot traffic during their poster session, and they made it very clear they wanted me to do something other than take pictures while they were talking shop...

...as did Dr. Kanis, when I spotted him speaking with CSU alum Alan, who is currently working in Robert Grubbs' group at Cal Tech.
Gilbert didn't even notice I was taking his picture, as he was too focused on speaking about his molecular modeling of cobalt catalysts.  All in all, it was pretty clear that I was no longer needed and that our students were doing a great job representing CSU and showing off what our school has to offer.  So, I played hooky the last day and visited the aquarium, where I could hang out with other ... stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed before being posted.